What is Baptism?
Baptism initiates the person into the faith community of the Catholic Church. We welcome your child to be baptized at St. John Neumann! Whenever we welcome new life, our life as a faith community is enhanced. Parents, Godparents, and community promise to share the joys and challenges of living our Catholic faith.
As a Sacrament of Initiation, Baptism is the first step in our life-long journey of faith. Parents who decide to have their child baptized are also choosing to share their own faith by the example of their words and actions. Baptism, then, makes visible your commitment, and that of the Godparents whom you choose, to the ongoing growth in faith of your child. A faith that is alive and active is “caught” more than it is “taught”.
We hope that this time of preparation and celebration will be an opportunity for you to both reflect on your faith and to renew your commitment to living out your chosen responsibilities. May you understand an address to you in the words of Christ to His disciples: “Teach them to carry out everything I have commanded you. And know that I am with you always…” (Matthew 28:19-20)
Baptism is celebrated at SJN in the midst of our parish community. The community’s presence witnesses its support and encouragement of its newest members and their parents. Baptism is celebrated each weekend either during a Eucharistic liturgy or at 12:45 p.m. after Sunday mass.
We restrict the number of children baptized each week in order to make the celebration more personal for the families. Please do not schedule a Baptismal date with family before you have scheduled your child’s Baptism with St. John Neumann office staff.
Requirements for Baptism:
- Parents of the child to be baptized need to be registered members of St. John Neumann Catholic Church. If you are not a registered parishioner and would like to register, please click here.
- Parents must attend a Baptism Preparation Class prior to scheduling a child’s Baptism. You may attend the Preparation Class before the birth of your baby. If you attended a Baptism preparation class at another parish, or if it has been more than five years since you attended a class at SJN, we require that you attend the preparation class.
- The Preparation Class will cover information about the Sacrament of Baptism, the requirements for the Godparents, and the logistics of the ceremony here at SJN.
- Baptism Preparation Classes are held monthly, on the Second Thursday. The class is from 7:00 until 8:00 p.m. and is held in classroom A2-A3. We ask that you register for the preparation class before attending. Click here to register for the next scheduled Baptism Preparation Class.
- It is highly recommended that both parents attend the class together without the child. However, we understand that you may need to bring your child with you, or that you both may not attend together. Please be considerate of the other parents in attendance.
- To schedule a Baptism, please call the Parish Office at 703-860-8510, Monday through Friday, between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm.